Solo-play / DM-less TTRPG Workshop | Sunday, June 2 | Underline Center, Indiranagar

Where: Underline Center (Google Maps Link)
When: Sunday 2nd June, Time TBD
Price: Rs. 299
Tickets: Buy Tickets for Solo-play/DM-less TTRPG Workshop

Whether it’s games designed to be played solo (e.g. Colostle, Ironsworn, Thousand Year Old Vampire), or taking popular group roleplaying games like Dungeons & Dragons and adapting them to be played alone, solo-play ttrpg experiences can be immensely fun and rewarding, leading to stories and worlds filled with the nuance and surprise you’d expect only from a traditional “players vs game master” setup!

Hi there! I’m Mithun, and I’ll be running a workshop on solo-play tabletop role-playing games on June 2nd as part of our International Tabletop Day celebrations.

Note: Though I’d recommend doing this solo, you can actually do all of this as a pair! But make sure you’re on the same wavelength as your partner, since you’ll need to creatively support and build off each other extensively.

What you can expect to get out of this

1. An intro to the styles of playing TTRPGs solo, and examples of games to try
  2. A quick look at some system-agnostic tools you can use to play games solo
  3. Splitting up based on what you’re interested in to start creating and playing!
  4. Guidance and assistance as you take your first steps into playing a ttrpg solo
  5. A boatload of resources for worldbuilding and solo play

What will we be playing?

• Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition:
    – Playbooks (folks with all levels of experience)
    – Freeform (players familiar with D&D)
    Bring a level 2-4 character along, or use one of my pregenerated ones!

If you happen to be attending Karthik’s D&D character creation workshop before this, you can use a character from there too!

• Colostle - Designed for solo play

What do you need to bring?

Nothing, other than your curiosity and creativity - and there will be tools to help with these if you’re not confident, too!

I’ll have stationery, paper, dice, playing cards (for Colostle), etc. but feel free to bring your own and possibly a nice notebook to journal in if you’d like!

Resources mentioned during the workshop + more

Dungeons & Dragons 5e

System agnostic

• One Page Solo Engine - super streamline engine that can be used to work with any system
  • The Dungeon Oracle ($2 on DMs guild for converting and giving new life to published modules) - I have a copy if you want to check it out
  • The Mythic Game Master Emulator 2nd Edition (I haven’t used this but it’s highly rated)
  • Physical resources: The Ultimate RPG Campfire conversation card deck
  • DIY play mat: Print a ~0.75 inch square grid printed on 2 A3 sheets of paper (or 4 A4 sheets with no borders. Set them out on a flat surface next to each other to make a large rectangle and use thick transparent tape to stick all the way across the length. Repeat for one full side. Repeat on the other side as well to have a clear side

Other TTRPGs to check out